The Mushrooms Cause The Most Deaths (Explained For Beginners)

Caution is essential when it comes to consuming wild mushrooms. The allure of foraging is undeniable, but misidentifying poisonous varieties can have serious consequences.

Do mushrooms can cause death?

Yes, some mushrooms can cause death when ingested due to the toxic compounds they contain. Toxic mushrooms like Amanita species produce toxins that can lead to liver and kidney failure, gastrointestinal distress, neurological symptoms, and even death. Prompt medical attention is essential to mitigate their harmful effects.

Mushrooms that cause the most deaths

While there are numerous toxic mushrooms worldwide, the following is a list of some of the most deadly mushrooms known to cause human fatalities:

Amanita phalloides (Death Cap):

As mentioned earlier, this mushroom contains potent toxins and is responsible for many mushroom poisoning deaths.

Amanita virosa (Destroying Angel):

Another Amanita species, the Destroying Angel contains lethal toxins and can cause severe liver and kidney damage.

Galerina marginata (Autumn Galerina):

This small brown mushroom contains amatoxins similar to the Death Cap and can lead to fatal poisoning.

Amanita bisporigera (Eastern North American Destroying Angel):

Found in North America, this mushroom is closely related to the European Destroying Angel and is equally deadly.

Conocybe filaris (Conocybe mushrooms):

Some species within the Conocybe genus contain the same deadly toxins found in Amanita mushrooms.

Inocybe spp. (Fibercap mushrooms):

Certain species of Inocybe mushrooms contain muscarine, which can be toxic if ingested.

Gyromitra spp. (False Morels):

False Morels contain the toxin gyromitrin, which can cause severe poisoning when consumed.

Cortinarius spp. (Webcaps):

Some species of Cortinarius mushrooms contain the same amatoxins found in Death Caps and can be deadly.

Lepiota spp. (Dapperlings):

Some Lepiota species contain toxic compounds, and confusion with edible mushrooms can lead to poisoning.

Clitocybe dealbata (Ivory Funnel):

This mushroom contains muscarine and can cause serious health issues if consumed.

What are the characteristic features of poisonous mushrooms?

Characteristic features of poisonous mushrooms can vary depending on the specific toxins present, but there are some general characteristics and factors to be aware of when identifying potentially toxic mushrooms:

Unusual Colors and Markings:Many toxic mushrooms have distinctive colors or markings that can serve as a warning. For example, some Amanita species have a white cap with white gills and a partial veil, but the base of the stem is surrounded by a sac-like structure called a volva, and there may be remnants of a universal veil on the cap, which can be important identification features.

Sickly Odor:Some poisonous mushrooms may emit an unpleasant or foul odor, which can help in identification. Edible mushrooms typically have a mild, earthy, or pleasant aroma.

Gill Attachment: The way the gills (or pores) are attached to the stem can be a distinguishing feature. For instance, some Amanita mushrooms have free gills, while many edible mushrooms have gills attached to the stem.

Spore Print: Collecting a spore print can aid in mushroom identification. Different mushroom species produce spores of varying colors (e.g., white, brown, black), and the color of the spore print can provide valuable information.

Changes Over Time: Some mushrooms change in appearance as they mature. It’s essential to consider the mushroom’s growth stage and not just its mature appearance when identifying it.

Mushroom Families: Familiarizing yourself with different mushroom families can help in identifying potential toxic mushrooms. For example, Amanita mushrooms are known for their toxicity, as are some members of the Cortinarius genus.

Consulting Field Guides and Experts: Field guides and experts with experience in mycology (the study of fungi) can provide valuable information and guidance for mushroom identification.

What these deadly mushrooms will do to your body

Deadly mushrooms contain toxins that can have severe and potentially fatal effects on the body. The specific effects depend on the type of mushroom and the toxins it contains, but here are some general descriptions of what these toxins can do to the body:

Liver and Kidney Damage: Many deadly mushrooms, such as Amanita species (Death Caps), contain toxins called amatoxins. These toxins target the liver and kidneys. After ingestion, there is often a latent period during which the person may feel relatively fine, but amatoxins are damaging the liver and can lead to liver failure. Symptoms may include jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), dark urine, and abdominal pain.

Gastrointestinal Distress: Poisonous mushrooms often cause severe gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. These symptoms can be debilitating and lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.

Neurological Effects: Some toxic mushrooms contain compounds that affect the central nervous system. This can lead to symptoms like confusion, hallucinations, delirium, seizures, and even coma in severe cases.

Cardiovascular Effects: Certain mushroom toxins can impact the heart rate and blood pressure, leading to symptoms like a slow heart rate (bradycardia) or hypotension (low blood pressure).

Delayed Onset: One particularly concerning aspect of some toxic mushrooms, like Amanita species, is the delayed onset of symptoms. People may initially feel fine after consuming the mushroom, but symptoms can appear 6-12 hours or more after ingestion, making it crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible

Muscarinic Symptoms: In some toxic mushrooms, such as those containing muscarine (e.g., Inocybe species), symptoms like sweating, salivation, tearing, blurred vision, and gastrointestinal distress may predominate.

Organ Failure: In cases of severe mushroom poisoning, multiple organs can be affected, potentially leading to multiple organ failure. This can result in a life-threatening situation.

What should you do if you or someone you know consume deadly mushrooms?

If you or someone you know has ingested mushrooms that are suspected to be deadly or toxic, it’s crucial to take immediate action. Here are the steps to follow:

Call for Emergency Medical Help: Dial your local emergency number (e.g., 911 in the United States) immediately. Poisoning from deadly mushrooms can be life-threatening, and prompt medical attention is essential.

Do Not Try to Treat It at Home: Do not attempt to treat mushroom poisoning at home with home remedies or antidotes unless specifically directed to do so by a healthcare professional. Improper treatments can worsen the situation.

Don’t Wait for Symptoms: Do not wait for symptoms to appear before seeking help. Even if there are no immediate symptoms or if there is a delay in symptoms, call for emergency medical assistance right away.

Do Not Consume Anything Else: Refrain from eating or drinking anything else until medical professionals can assess the situation and provide guidance.

Gather Information: If it is safe to do so and does not delay seeking medical help, try to gather information about the mushrooms that were ingested. This may include taking a clear photograph of the mushrooms, noting where they were found, and describing their appearance as accurately as possible. However, do not put yourself or others at risk to collect this information.

Stay Calm and Keep the Individual Calm: While waiting for emergency responders to arrive, keep the affected individual as calm as possible. Anxiety and panic can exacerbate the situation.

Follow Medical Advice: Once medical professionals arrive, follow their instructions carefully. They will assess the situation and administer appropriate treatments, which may include supportive care, medications, or other interventions.

Final thought

In summary, when it comes to wild mushrooms, it is always better to err on the side of caution. Deadly mushrooms may not always have obvious warning signs, and the consequences of ingesting them can be dire. It is better to pass up the opportunity to eat a wild mushroom than to risk your health and safety.

Scroll to Top